Memory Lane (Rough Draft) - How One Memory Triggers a Chain of Memories.



This catholic church picture below was  directly across the street from my family's house, located at 2410 N. Grand. The house caught on fire when I was 10, and rumor had it that my great granddaddy, whom we called "Grand daddy Pop Brown" a well known junk collector caused the fire. I heard some of his junk fell on a electric heater, and started a fire on the first floor, but hell who know's. It was a pretty big house, a total of 6-7 bedrooms, there were 2 bathrooms, 1 up stairs and 1 downstairs, there were 2 sets of stairs that lead to the 2nd floor, 1 in the front were the living turned bedroom was located and 1 in the back, were the kitchen was located. Many family members lived in this house, there were also bars on the front door. I use to get on the bars and swing back and forth. Ha, those were the days, but anyway the backyard is were all the ole heads hung on almost a daily basis, except when it was cold. Them ole heads taught me how to play dominoes when I was about eight. I still remember their names; "Blinky" wore glasses, and his eyes blinked on a regular basis, "Amos" popped one of his moles once, he kept bleeding, so they had to call the ambulance, the older "Fred" wasn't around long  because he died before the others, but I remember him giving me money for my birthday, "Mable"was a very slender woman, and she drank a lot, but she was also nice to me,  she gave me my first bra. I can't forget "Pot So Willy" he taught me how to cook french toast, and "Harold Bing and Naida". When they had  baby "Thomas", I went over their house to help Naida for a week, I was around 9/10, and when I left they gave me a whole $10. At the age of 9, I went across the street to this catholic church pictured above alone, but not for the service though. I heard they gave away free doughnuts from 1 of the best doughnut shops in town located at the corner of Grand and Cass. Those lemon filled doughnut were my favorite. Despite only wanting the doughnuts I continued to go to service, and it almost became a habit for a while. I drank the blood which tasted like grape juice, and ate the bread which tasted similar to a ice cream cone without the ice cream. Going to that church was the first time I've ever seen real life nuns, and I can remember the service feeling peaceful. I can't remember what was said, but I can remember bits and pieces. My younger sister attended their  preschool. I remember several candy bars I loved back then, Bar None, Cookies & Cream Twix, Fudge Twix, and Whatchamacallit. Oh, and the 10 cent boxes of candy, Lemon Heads, Cherry Clan, Boston Baked Beans, Johnny Apple, Red Hots etc. Mr. Brooks was a corner store located at the end of the alley on N. Market, and he sold all the good boxes of candy. Him and his wife usually worked in the store, and he was a chubby man that talked smack. Ms. Theresa was the penny candy lady, and she was located next to Grand U Buy, imagine getting a 100 pieces of candy for a dollar with no tax.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"GOOD FRIDAY 2011"

UNDER WIRE BRA'S